Journal #10

In the dictionary history is defined as the study of past events. However, I have learned that history is more than just studying the events of the people in our past. It is so much more than that. To me history is about trying to comprehend the realities of life that can be very hard to understand for a twenty-first century audience. History is about seeing past mistakes and learning to better our future. In particular we have learned a tremendous amount about the indigenous culture. European settlers did a lot of harm and made many mistakes however, we have learned from those mistakes. The historiography is also ever changing when it comes to indigenous accounts of what happened. This is something that would not have been considered even a little as fifty years ago. I have learned that in order to truly understand history it is important to have accounts from each party that was involved. It has been said that history is written by the victors and while that may be true, current historiography is attempting to change that.

As far as the actual research of history goes there are many ways in which this course has helped me develop the tools needed to do so. First of all, I have learned that through careful readings of primary and secondary sources we can have a greater idea of the reality of living in the past. Secondly, I have learned that finding my own sources and creating a research topic can lead to a far greater understanding of any particular topic. Thirdly, discussion on specific readings can open up different insights that I may have not realized without other classmates input. Finally, tough the compiling of all the information I have learned in my Eportfolio I have a much greater understanding of exactly what I have taken away from History 1120.

In conclusion, I have learned many new ideas and subjects throughout this course. Whether it be about first contact, the seven years war, indigenous accounts, or the thoughts and feelings of every party involved there has been a tremendous amount that I have learned. I have learned what history means to me and how to appreciate the differences between how everyone approaches history. I have learned the value of both primary and secondary sources. I have also learned the need of discussion to further benefit my learning experience. I have also learned that my own research into a particular subject can lead to a much better comprehension of that subject. Ultimately, history for me is about learning from our mistakes through researching our ancestor’s mistakes and their triumphs.